The discussion around infertility is not easy. Many factors may cause infertility. These may vary from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) to Endometriosis to pelvic infections. One question that people still ask regarding masturbation is, “Does masturbation cause infertility in women?” Let’s discuss this here.
Does Female Masturbation Cause Female Infertility?
Myths Surrounding Masturbation And Female Infertility
There are some myths surrounding female masturbation. Some of the common ones are:
- Female masturbation affects ovulation
- Female masturbation causes infertility
- Female masturbation affects periods
- Female masturbation causes weight gain.
Does Female Masturbation Cause Female Infertility?
In India, the topic of females pleasuring themselves is still taboo and not talked about openly. On a positive note, there are now many resources available online and offline that address the myths surrounding female masturbation. For instance, one myth that is still believed by many is that female masturbation can cause infertility, when in fact, several studies say otherwise. Many studies done by experts say that there is no direct link between female infertility and masturbation. So, the myth is, therefore, just that – a MYTH.
So, the answer to “Does masturbation cause infertility in women?” The answer is No.
Female masturbation does not have any negative impact or link to infertility. No woman should be scared or ashamed of it.
Indeed, no woman should be ashamed of masturbation, a biological need. Based on a recent study wherein 3,687 women participated, it was found that approximately 91% of women had engaged in masturbation at some point in their lives. This activity promotes positive psychological effects. Moreover, this study indicates that masturbation plays a beneficial role in shaping female sexuality.
Masturbation And Hormones: Does Female Masturbation Affect Hormones?
The question, “Does female masturbation affect hormones?” is also often asked by many, and we have addressed this question below.
Your endocrine system, which consists of glands that produce hormones, can be influenced by various factors. This includes female masturbation. It’s important to note that even small fluctuations in hormone levels can lead to significant changes in the body. However, it is completely normal and even considered healthy to masturbate.
After orgasm, our body releases hormones that make masturbation a de-stressing experience. Here are the hormones that are released:
- Testosterone: A study conducted in 2015 found that middle-aged women who engaged in frequent masturbation had higher levels of testosterone. However, the study did not investigate whether the increased frequency of masturbation directly caused an increase in testosterone levels.
- Prolactin: After orgasm, there is a surge in prolactin, a hormone in the body. A small 2015 study suggested that the quality of orgasm may be linked to the amount of prolactin released. Increased prolactin levels, along with sexual satisfaction, temporarily lower libido, allowing individuals to relax and shift their focus to other daily activities.
- Oxytocin: Oxytocin, a chemical messenger in the brain, plays a vital role in various human behaviours such as sexual arousal, trust, recognition, romantic attachment, and bonding between mother and infant and her partner. Due to its involvement in these processes, oxytocin is often referred to as the ‘love hormone’ or ‘cuddle chemical’. This hormone is released when a woman reaches orgasm.
- Endorphins: Masturbation has been found to have stress-reducing effects and helps one to relax. In fact, for some individuals, it may even help them fall asleep. Orgasms trigger the release of endorphins, chemicals in the brain that have to do with feelings of pleasure. Moreover, orgasms can act as natural painkillers and may provide relief from period cramps.
- Dopamine: Masturbation triggers the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter closely linked to feelings of pleasure. This surge of dopamine can result in improved mood and a general sense of well-being.
Hence we realize that orgasm through masturbation or intercourse gives several benefits which outweigh the myths surrounding female masturbation, including the myth that masturbation negatively affects hormones.
Read more: Bulky Uterus: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Masturbation And Ovulation: Does Female Masturbation Affect Ovulation?
Many women wonder if masturbation can impact their chances of getting pregnant. During ovulation, eggs are released from the ovaries and can potentially be fertilized by sperm. If fertilization occurs, the fertilized egg travels to the uterus, resulting in pregnancy. But if the egg is not fertilized, it degenerates.
On the other hand, orgasm is required in men to ejaculate semen. In women, ovulation is not dependent on reaching an orgasm.
Now, to answer the question: Does female masturbation cause infertility? The answer is no. Masturbation and having an orgasm do not affect ovulation or fertility in women.
If you have doubts about the connection between masturbation and ovulation, you can track your ovulation cycle to observe it firsthand. Here are some helpful tips for tracking your ovulation accurately:
- To effectively track your ovulation, it is important to have a good understanding of your menstrual cycle.
- To track your ovulation, monitor your basal body temperature (BBT) regularly. As you approach ovulation, your temperature will rise. By measuring your basal body temperature daily, you can establish a baseline and accurately identify when you are most fertile. However, current science relies less on BBT and more on checking for the LH surge, which can predict impending ovulation.
- Ovulation tests can be used to assess hormone levels in your urine. These tests indicate high hormone levels, generally indicating that ovulation is occurring soon. These kits are available from the local chemist.
- Observing the presence of cervical mucous is important as it can provide valuable information about your ovulation. During ovulation, the mucus becomes thin and stretchy, resembling the texture of egg whites.
Does Masturbation Impact Menstruation?
There is often confusion regarding how masturbation, menstruation, and fertility are related. Let’s discuss it in this section.
First, let’s talk about menstruation. Menstruation is the shedding of the uterine lining, resulting in bleeding and poetic terms, it is described as the weeping of the non-pregnant uterus! This usually happens on a regular cycle, roughly once a month.
Masturbation does not impact menstruation. However, it’s important to understand that masturbation doesn’t cause menstruation. The bleeding during menstruation occurs due to the natural shedding of the uterine lining, regardless of masturbation.
There is a common misconception that female masturbation can cause infertility. The truth is that masturbation does not affect fertility. Masturbation is a healthy sexual activity that women engage in. It does not directly affect a woman’s ability to conceive or become pregnant.
Masturbation has a way of releasing endorphins, which are natural pain relievers. These endorphins can help reduce muscle tension and ease some women who experience menstrual cramps. It can boost one’s mood and overall well-being as well.
It is important to know that masturbation does not impact women’s ability to get pregnant.
Benefits Of Masturbation: When Is Masturbation A Good Thing?
For women, masturbation has many health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of them in this section.
- De-stressing: As we have already mentioned earlier, masturbation releases several hormones, including dopamine and endorphins, both of which are known for releasing a feeling of pleasure and happiness. So, when it comes to trying to relax or de-stressing, masturbation can prove to be helpful.
- Relieving Menstrual Cramps: Masturbation can be beneficial during your period due to the release of endorphins, which are natural pain relievers. The benefits of orgasm during periods include potential pain relief, improvement in mood and sleep, and even increased lubrication which can enhance pleasure. It’s important to note that many women report feeling aroused during their period, which is considered normal.
- More Orgasms: Regarding sexual pleasure, there are interesting differences between men and women. For instance, studies have shown that women tend to reach orgasm more quickly and easily during masturbation compared to sexual intercourse. A survey conducted in 2017, which involved over 52,000 adults, found that only 65% of heterosexual women, as well as 66% of bisexual women, usually reached orgasm during sex. In contrast, 95% of heterosexual men reported regularly reaching orgasm during sex. One possible reason is that many women struggle to explore their own sexual preferences and effectively communicate them to their partners. This lack of exploration and communication can hinder the ability to reach orgasm during sex. However, masturbation can play a valuable role in this regard.
- Keeping Reproductive Systems Healthy: Masturbation can help women maintain good gynaecological health as masturbation can keep the vagina lubricated, remove harmful bacteria from the cervix and relieve pain.
- Improving Reproductive Health: Engaging in sexual activity, including masturbation, can improve your blood circulation, balance hormones, and make you feel better.
- Getting Better Sleep: Masturbation promotes better sleep by reducing stress and releasing relaxing hormones such as dopamine which gives a sense of well-being. Other relaxing hormones like oxytocin and endorphins are released, giving relief and happiness and making one feel sleepy.
Does Masturbation Impact Implantation?
Understanding the implantation process is important for women who are trying to conceive and are concerned about their reproductive health due to masturbation. Once the egg is fertilized, it starts its journey towards the uterus, where it will attach to its wall. This process is called implantation.
Implantation usually occurs around 5 to 6 days after ovulation. Around this time, the fertilized egg implants into the uterine wall.
However, sometimes fertilized eggs may not implant properly. They may attach themselves to the lining of the fallopian tube instead of the uterus, called an ectopic pregnancy. This can cause complications and may require medical attention.
In other cases, the fertilized egg may reach the uterus but fail to implant.
As there is no evidence that masturbation affects implantation, it cannot cause an ectopic pregnancy.
Masturbation And Sex During Pregnancy
In this section, let’s look at the effects of masturbation and sex during pregnancy.
Many people wonder about the effects of female masturbation on ovulation, pregnancy, and infertility. Research has shown that women can get pregnant even if they don’t have an orgasm during sexual activity. Also, sexual activity during pregnancy is not prohibited unless there are some complications in the pregnancy, such as twins or a low-lying placenta. It may be better to refrain from the course closer to the delivery time due to the risk of premature contractions, which can occur due to the release of prostaglandins present in the semen. Also, there is a slight possibility of ascending infection following intercourse if the semen has infection-causing bacteria.
According to medical professionals, it is generally considered safe for pregnant individuals to engage in masturbation.
When Should You Talk To A Doctor?
There are certain situations when it’s a good idea to speak with a doctor about your sexual health. Here are a few examples:
Pain during sex: If you experience pain during sexual activity, it could be a sign of an underlying medical condition. It is important to talk to your doctor, get it checked out, and find the right treatment.
Changes in menstrual cycle: If you notice changes in your menstrual cycle, like irregular periods or heavy bleeding, it’s worth discussing this with a doctor. These changes could indicate an underlying medical issue needing attention.
Sexual dysfunction: Difficulty reaching orgasm or other types of sexual dysfunction can be distressing. Talking to a doctor can help identify potential causes and explore treatment options.
Trouble conceiving: It is a good idea to consult a fertility physician if you’ve been trying to get pregnant for a year or more without success. They can help to investigate potential fertility issues and discuss possible treatment options.
Read more: IVF Procedure Step By Step
Female Masturbation And Fertility FAQs
Does female masturbation increase fertility?
While female masturbation is a wonderful way to explore your pleasure, it doesn’t directly impact fertility. So, if you’re hoping to conceive, you can enjoy masturbation without worrying about it affecting your fertility.
How often can females masturbate?
The frequency may vary according to one’s libido. Some people might feel the urge more frequently, while others masturbate less often.
What are the benefits of female masturbation?
Sexual pleasure: Masturbation allows women to explore their bodies and experience sexual pleasure. It can be a healthy and enjoyable way to satisfy sexual desires.
- Stress relief: Masturbation can help relieve stress and promote relaxation. It releases endorphins, which are natural mood-boosting hormones, providing a sense of well-being.
- Self-exploration: Masturbation allows women to learn about their bodies, preferences, and what feels pleasurable to them. This self-awareness can enhance sexual experiences and improve communication with partners.
- Improved sleep: Masturbation can aid in better sleep. The release of hormones during orgasms, such as dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphins, promotes relaxation and can contribute to a more restful sleep.
What is the most common cause of infertility in females which leads to anovulation and thereby contributes to infertility?
Some common causes of anovulation leading to infertility include thyroid problems, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and hormonal imbalances, pelvic adhesions and Endometriosis. These can lead to ovulatory disorders, which can contribute to infertility.
Can female masturbation impact implantation?
No, female masturbation does not impact implantation.
What are the signs of a very fertile woman?
Signs suggestive of optimal fertility include regular menstrual cycles, ovulation pain or changes in cervical mucus, documentation by ultrasound of an adequate number of follicles and timely ovulation, normal size and shape of the uterus and appropriate body weight.
How do I know if I’m an infertile female?
If you have been trying to conceive for more than a year without success or have irregular periods or other symptoms that suggest a problem with ovulation or fertility, you may be experiencing infertility. Excessive bleeding, fibroids, and Endometriosis may also point towards infertility.
Is it okay to masturbate daily for girls?
A: Yes, it is okay for girls to masturbate daily as long as it does not interfere with their daily activities or relationships.
Is it okay to Masturbate once every day?
A: Yes, it is okay for women to masturbate once a day or as often as they wish, as long as it does not interfere with their daily life or relationships.
What happens if men ejaculate and release semen daily?
A: Ejaculating semen daily is a normal and healthy bodily function. It has no known negative effects on the body.
Is orgasm important to get pregnant?
A: No, orgasm is not required to conceive. However, it can enhance sexual pleasure.
What are the benefits of masturbation?
A: Masturbation can help reduce stress, improve sexual function, and enhance self-awareness and self-esteem.
Is orgasm important for pregnancy?
A: No, orgasm is not necessary for pregnancy.
What are the top 3 causes of infertility?
A: The top three causes of infertility are ovulatory disorders, Endometriosis, and fallopian tube damage or blockage.
What are the 3 main causes of infertility?
A: The three main causes of infertility are problems with ovulation, problems with the fallopian tubes or uterus, and problems with sperm.
What are some of the risk factors contributing to female infertility?
A: Risk factors contributing to female infertility include advanced age, smoking, and medical conditions such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), Endometriosis, fibroids, adenomyosis, obesity and diabetes.
What are 3 problems that can cause infertility in females?
A: Three problems that can cause infertility in females are ovulatory disorders, Endometriosis, and damage to the fallopian tubes or uterus.